Toon World Academy
Welcome to Toon World Academy, please register here or login.
Make sure to read the starter guide and rules before posting.
If you have any questions ask them in the chatbox or PM one of the staff members.

Toon World Academy
Welcome to Toon World Academy, please register here or login.
Make sure to read the starter guide and rules before posting.
If you have any questions ask them in the chatbox or PM one of the staff members.

Toon World Academy
Anybody who wants to get tested for their dorm please post Here
Have you introduced yourself? Do that Here
Please read TWA's Rules Here
Interested in helping the site with cool features? Suggest them Here

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Niko327

Niko327
Houseless
Houseless
If you've been playing Yugioh for even an hour, you probably know what a chain is. Well, I'm going to explain what it is anyway! Here's a scenario:

Spoiler:

The scenario is basic and is pretty self-explanatory to most Yugioh players, but the most important almost completely ignored piece of information is something anyone who read the spoiler should take to heart:

effects ACTIVATE on a Chain forward, and proceed to RESOLVE backward.

This is key to understanding how targeting effects work and how to use them to your advantage in the game.

What is targeting? Any card effect that specifies one specific card on the field, in the graveyard, banished, or hand. A lot of these cards will literally say "Target 1 card/monster/spell/trap," but others might say "select," "add," or effects that special summon 1 monster also target.

When an effect is to target something, it does so UPON ACTIVATION, therefore when you activate monster reborn, your opponent can choose to wait until you choose your target for the special summon to decide if they want to respond to it or not. Upon activation, the monster is not summoned yet, but is targeted and ready to be, and not until Monster Reborn resolves will it be special summoned.

On a side note from targeting, here's an explanation on why certain things can't be negated due to chain resolution:
Spoiler:

So how is this useful? It allows you to plan out your plays much much more efficiently and makes certain cards a lot stronger/weaker. For example, Bottomless Trap Hole and Book Of Moon. I remember this was one of the rulings I was the most confused on when I first heard it. If you attempt to destroy a monster with Bottomless Trap Hole, it targets the summoned monster upon activation. Your opponent then can activate Book Of Moon as Chain Link 2. Now both cards are targeting the same monster. Which resolves first? Book Of Moon of course, which will flip the summoned monster into Face-Down Defense position. As we all know, monsters that are Set do NOT have a calculated Attack or Defense, they do not have a Type or attribute or a level. They can't be used as synchro summon material or Xyz because the information needed is unknown. Same scenario here because now that the monster is Set, it's Attack points can't be calculated, therefore Bottomless Trap Hole can't determine if it's target's Attack is 1500 or higher. Bottomless fails to destroy the monster and resolves by going to the graveyard.

Here's a bit more useful tip rather than just proving how good Book Of Moon is. Safe Zone is a wonderful card this format because everyone is playing such heavy backrow, therefore everyone is playing 3 Mystical Space Typhoons. If your opponent has a boss monster on the field you can't seem to get rid of, you can use Safe Zone to get rid of it. If your opponent or you uses Mystical Space Typhoon or Heavy Storm with Safe Zone Face-down, you can Chain Safe Zone as Chain Link 2. It targets your opponent's monster, and upon resolution, it gets destroyed by M.S.T., which then destroys your opponent's monster.

If your opponent activates Monster Reborn and targets his Blue-Eyes White Dragon, you can Chain D.D. Crow as Chain Link 2 and Target the same Blue-Eyes to banish it. Crow resolves first, banishing the Blue-Eyes, and Monster Reborn loses target because Blue-Eyes is no longer in the Graveyard, one of Monster Reborn's conditions. It then proceeds to resolve by sending it to the grave. This is why you should always ask your opponent what monster they are targeting BEFORE you decide to activate your response. You might D.D. Crow and target a creature and then your opponent can declare he's targeting something else.

People tend to get mixed up with targeting and effects. Targeting is NOT a part of the effect of a card, it literally is just choosing a target for where the effect should apply. If I summon Rescue Rabbit, and my opponent activates Effect Veiler as Chain Link 1, activating Forbidden Robe as Chain Link 2 does NOT stop Effect Veiler from targeting because that happened already when Veiler was activated. Robe doesn't lose Veiler's target for Rabbit is still a face-up effect monster on his opponent's field. If I summon Rabbit and activate Robe as Chain Link 1, my opponent can STILL use Effect Veiler as Chain Link 2 because Robe has not resolved yet so it's effect is not active on Rescue Rabbit.

There are also costs to activating certain effects, for example, The Gates of Dark World. I'd advise not flipping up M.S.T. when they activate the card, but when they decide to activate the effect. This means they have to pay the cost to banish a fiend in their graveyard first, and then your M.S.T. as Chain Link 2 will resolve first and destroy Gates before it can resolve on the field (field spells cannot resolve in the grave even if the effect was activated, so it won't resolve as Chain Link 1 even though M.S.T. doesn't negate).

Play smart and play slow. Your opponent isn't allowed to play out of turn, so don't let an impatient DN player try and skip your priority to respond. When they activate a card, ask for targets if you're unsure, and Chain only when you know what you're chaining to.

Kyohack

Kyohack
Houseless
Houseless
-Scans Wall Of Text-
-Processes-
Holy ****!

Great Article!

Fluffytots

Fluffytots
Galactic Chaos
Galactic Chaos
its ok everyone. niko is a robot so he can do this Very Happy

raissa ana' marriana

raissa ana' marriana
Houseless
Houseless
Great article, i've seen longer... but this is probably pretty high up there ^^

Niko327

Niko327
Houseless
Houseless
Go to WDA, Al-Bhed makes my articles look like summary passages in a table of contents O_x

CryonixHeat

CryonixHeat
Industrial Illusion Leader
Industrial Illusion Leader
wda....pm me the link

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum